Daily Medication Pearl: Humate-P
Humate-P is indicated for the treatment of adult patients with classic hemophilia (hemophilia A) and von Willebrand’s disease (VWD).
Pearl of the day medication: Humate-P
Indication: Humate-P is a stable, purified, sterile, lyophilized concentrate of antihemophilic factor (human) and von Willebrand factor (VWF) (human) complex indicated for the treatment of adult patients with classic hemophilia (hemophilia A) and von Willebrand’s disease (VWD). Purified from the cold insoluble fraction of freshly frozen pooled human plasma, Humate-P contains a highly purified and concentrated antihemophilic factor/von Willebrand factor (human) complex.
Additionally, Humate-P contains a high degree of purity and a low amount of non-factor proteins, with fibrinogen less than or equal to 0.2 mg/mL. Additionally, Humate-P has a potency that is a factor higher than cryoprecipitate preparations.
Humate-P may also be used in pediatric patients with von Willebrand’s disease for the treatment of spontaneous and trauma-induced bleeding episodes, and the prevention of excessive bleeding during and after surgery.
- Dosage: Individualize dosage based on patient weight, type and severity of bleeding, factor VIII (FVIII) levels, and presence of inhibitors.
- Dosage forms: Humate-P is available as a lyophilized powder in single-dose vials that contain the indicated amount of VWF: ristocetin cofactor (RCo) and FVIII activity expressed in IU. The average ratio of VWF:RCo to FVIII is 2.4:1.
- VWF: RCo/vial FVIII/vial Diluent
- 600 IU, 250 IU, 5mL
- 1200 IU, 500 IU, 10 mL
- 2400 IU, 1000 IU, 15mL
- Adverse Events (AE): The most common Humate-P AEs seen by more than 5% of subjects include allergic-anaphylactic reactions (eg, urticaria, chest tightness, rash, pruritus, edema) and, in patients undergoing surgery, postoperative wound and bleeding at the injection site, and epistaxis.
- Action mechanism: The active components of Humate-P consist of 2 different non-covalently linked proteins (FVIII and VWF). FVIII is an essential cofactor in the activation of factor X, ultimately leading to the formation of thrombin and, subsequently, fibrin. VWF promotes platelet aggregation and platelet adhesion to damaged vascular endothelium; activated platelets interact with clotting proteins to form a clot. VWF also serves as a stabilizing carrier protein for the procoagulant protein FVIII. VWF activity is measured as VWF:RCo.